Friday, April 30, 2010

Watch Out for the Potholes

Every morning I go to work driving on Southwest Parkway. I turn right onto Maplewood, go on to Kemp, turn right again. Then into Parker Square. I park far away from the office. Its the only exercise I get. In the evening, I just reverse this route. It is a good thing for me to write this down. If I should forget where I am going, and if I can get to a computer, I can find my way home.

Like a lot of streets in any town, Maplewood has more than its fair share of potholes. After driving on it for a long time, I know where the bad ones are. I know when one has been fixed and I know when to drive really close to the curb or as close to the middle stripe as possible in order to avoid the "sinking"of at least one of the tires. Mate isn't aware that I know this. He spends a lot of time when he is with me as I drive on Maplewood, making a sound as if he is drinking through a straw and has reached the bottom of the glass. If you are a wife and have driven with your Mate in the car, you know this sound.

Then a new pothole appears and I don't know where to go.

Occurs to me that life is a lot like Maplewood Boulevard. Lined with potholes. Age and experience have taught me where most of them are, and where to go to miss them. But I am still learning. There are a lot of potholes I miss just because I never went that way. Those are easy to avoid. Personally I don't feel I get any points for missing those that I have avoided for years and that don't tempt me to sink.

Even at my age I hit potholes I didn't know existed.. I feel the tire clunk and hear Mate sip through the straw. The journey to Heaven has been lined with potholes. However, for this trip heading toward eternity, He left me an Advocate to guide me either close to the curb or close to the center stripe. If I can remember to rely on what I know is true and if I ask for guidance, I will find my flock of sheep and more importantly my Shepherd. Please meet my Shepherd. You can find him in the Book. He 's always adding new sheep to the flock. Its a wonderful journey. I promise. But don't rely on me or anyone else you know. Rely on the One that made the promise.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! I've been missing you! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete