Friday, April 16, 2010

WARNING Liberal at Work

Fourteen years old. Had my first job. Most of my friends are Conservative, both socially and politically. I am in North Central Texas in 2010 so its hard to find a Liberal friend. But that too will change if I live long enough. I need a Liberal fix every so often. It keeps me going. However this is not to begin a conversation of one vs. the other. If you read this from a conservative point of view you will think there she goes continuing her life of crime. (i.e. Crime Does Not Pay) But if you really know me well, you will realize it was my first attempt to change the world order.

S.H. Kress and Company. It was outside this store that I spotted the lady on the bench who signed my mother's name (Here Comes the Bride). I absolutely reveled in my job. More fun than I ever had. I still feel that way every day I have worked in my 74 years. God has blessed me in oh so many ways. I hope I am working on the day I leave this world.

Each counter was separate, no check out at the front. If you bought ribbon you bought it at the ribbon counter, etc. etc. I got to work the candy counter. Right at the front of the store. They understood marketing even back then. First and last thing you saw. As much as I loved chocolate I was not tempted to snitch a bite. We could eat all the broken novelty pieces we wanted just not while on duty. I can't believe I am saying this but you got a little tired of chocolate. Five Cents bought quite a bit of candy in a white sack. Cash only, no one had heard of a credit card. Life was simplier then. We didn't need Financial Peace. We had a lot of peace and very little financial.

It did not take me long to realize I had the power to take care of the poor kids. Power is exhilarating! Even at the candy counter of S.H. Kress. Maybe an extra piece in the five cent bag, which I could then even out by leaving out a piece in the ten cent bag. Let me remind you that I was barely fifteen, I had discovered the answer to the world's problems (do not lecture me)I swear to you I saw nothing wrong with what I was doing. Mr. Kress was not losing candy nor money. The kids didn't even know it. It was good for everyone especially me. I felt great!

My time came. Store Manager (I had such a crush on him but he was old, probably 25 or 26) sees me giving an extra piece to a poor child. Calls me into his office at the back of the store. Fires me. Devastation. I do not think anyone in my family was ever fired either before or after the Chocolate Caper. I was well on my way to disgracing my family and I was barely 15. Just think what lay ahead of me. I tried to explain. He did not listen. I begged, I cried. He did not budge.

We were totally, politically incorrect back then. Today they are not poor kids or rich kids, they are underprivileged or over privileged. I was certainly one of the over privileged, have been all of my life. I am loved by my friends and family, even with all my warts. I have written this as a tribute to S.H.Kress. I was able to walk down the street and go to work for F.W. Woolworth, but I don't think I ever worked the candy counter.

Today is my birthday. I am 74 years old. I am starting on three quarters of a century. My life was shaped when Mr. Kress hired and fired me. I am content and satisfied with my life so far. thats a pretty good feeling when you are beginning three quarters of a century.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the visit - without it I'd never have found you and your stories. If I read any more I'll be late for work!
    A Liberal Democrat in Texas - you are a brave woman. You'd fit in up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Goodness! You do make me laugh! Happy Birthday, Ms Liberal!

    ReplyDelete