Saturday, March 6, 2010

One More Key

Sometime, I think between 30 and 40 years ago, Jim had a key that was special. The Church at Tenth and Broad had bought a bus for the kid to use on trips. It was truly a good buy and since my dad had a filing station the kids pulled the bus into one of the bays and painted it white with Big Red Tenth and Broad Church of Christ letters. My dad never loved that bus because it seems that the over spray left him with one big mess. but thanks to some good kids and Dr. Harry Ledbetter we had a bus. That bus still runs in Nicaragua. But I digress. Using buses to pick up kids for Bible Class was becoming the popular thing to do, so we thought we would do one . Jim had a key as did many others. The plan was that you would have two couples on the bus which meant I had to go. I was not so thrilled. I had taken trips on that bus down to Possum Kingdom Lake and a couple of other places I have tried to forget. Two things about riding the bus stick out in my memory. One it had HARD seats and Two it had a BUMPY ride. I have always been into comfort. I would like to tell you that we were the ones that picked up two young ladies and their parents that first Sunday that they rode but in all honesty I do not remember. Someone else probably will. The two young ladies wanted to come because their friends had come and the parents did not want their girls going somewhere unknown to them, So they came once and then they came twice and on into infinity. To judge the worth of that key and that bus, as Paul Harvey used to say, you need to know the rest of the story. That couple was Harry and Mary Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment