Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Peripheral, Physicians, Plastic

In Mangum, County seat of Greer County, the tallest building in town was the hospital. three stories. It had the only elevator in Greer County. Its now the County museum. Been there and family's photos can be found if you look really closely. Our mother worked in and around doctors and hospitals all her life and I am quite comfortable with doctors, as long as I am not sitting on a plastic upholstered table with nothing on except the little gown that ties in the back. I decided I would give up doctors when I turned 71. Don't know why I chose 71 but it seemed like a good year. So, and maybe foolishly so, I just don't go. I like them personally. We have a doctor in our congregation. I love this young man and his family. He is genuine, he is devoted and I understand he is a good physician. Mate thinks so. I prefer not to see him in his office. So I don't. Another good thing about being 74 is that I don't have to do almost anything voluntarily, but of course there may come a day when they load me into an ambulance and take me to the hospital. If I am conscious and in my right mind I will in all likelihood protest.

Mate has had some bad luck with health problems but it seems to me that the first time he went to the doctor about them it became an never ending quest. One doctor led to another, one pill led to another, and on into infinity. We even spent several Saturdays driving to the Metroplex to a doctor who pressed on his ear. I watched one day and we decided if his ear needed pressing I could do it. I'm quick to catch on. Most people with health problems are in the same boat. It appears that there is no way to get out of the boat. So I decided just not to go for the ride. Now, admittedly, I am very lucky. I really don't ever have any medical problems (should I knock on wood) except for colds or flu or an infection here and there. I have always recognized the infections I have had and I do go to the doctor, explain what I have, they test, and sure enough its what I have and they give me an antibiotic and it goes away, and I go away from the doctor's office.

But this morning, I am going to the hospital, voluntarily, where I will lay on a table and hopefully I will leave in a few hours with beautiful oriental shaped eyes. Yep. Having plastic surgery. Chose the doctor carefully. Actually knew him when he was young. Son, cut a tendon in his finger while a freshman in high school. Met this doctor. So nice. I thought I had met Wichita County's Omar Sharif. My favorite movie came to life. We had hired Dr. Zhivago. Since then he has done surgery on Mate two times and I chose him for this endeavor. He has aged much better than Omar Sharif.

S0 I will keep you posted. I have read articles about doctors making mistakes, even in plastic surgery. I figure I will either have those beautiful oriental shaped eyes, and regain peripheral vision, OR will have bosoms like Dolly Partain, OR not be able to smile but sing like Kenny Rogers, OR just be plain ugly like Joan Rivers.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! That is awesome. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly ... I've said it before and I'll say it again ... You make me laugh!

    Praying for you today! :)

    ReplyDelete