Saturday, April 9, 2011

ONE MORE TIME

Here it is again.  About time for my birthday.  Three Quarters of a Century !! Now thats old.  Of course it sounds more when you say it that way than if you just say I will be 75.  No...I heard that and it sounds old either way.    I am doing something I have always said I would never do.  But then you know when you get a certain age changing your mind is about the only work your mind gets.  I am officially retiring to part time status. 

I began working when I was 14,  After school at S. H.  Kress in Downtown Wichita Falls.  That ill fated job from which I was fired for stealing  (see prior blog, Danger Liberal at Work).  I have loved working and have been blessed with having jobs which stimulated my mind, which stretched my abilities and where I have been free to use my considerable imagination.  I only went into this last job as a stop gap measure while my former job came back open.  This was after we had moved to California when Annde was ill.  I was going to work for a period of probably 10 days, doing them a favor, I thought. That was over 6 years ago. It has been a happy time.  I believe we have mutually benefited by our association but more so on my part.  Now they give me the opportunity to work part time.   I  love both of the Altmans, father and son, and have been blessed by working there.  My hours will probably lessen as I get used to this retirement thing,  but I will look forward to a day out now and then.  Have to admit I never did master the secretarial part of my job, but the younger one has figured out I only make a mistake every 1000 characters typed.  

Last year as I was about to turn 74, I did a blog entitled "I Never".    It was about the things I never got to do.  Still have not gotten to do them and of course won't.  Especially that thing of sitting on a piano with high heels and black stockings, legs crossed singing Cuddle Up a Little Closer.   BUT...  Kids are safe and sound along with grand children and great grandchildren;  Nephews and Nieces are relatively contented and happy;  My sister is still my best friend;  Mate still tells me he loves me every day.   But admittedly the high light of this past year ....  We got Daisy.  The little schnauzer who has brightened our lives and who makes every day an adventure.  What fun she is.  Our Church family is more precious than ever and so I can truthfully Thank God for this past year.

See you about this time next year.....Assuming the Lord is willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment